They've been successfully operating in Yorkton for many years and at last week's Yorkton Chamber of Commerce Celebrate Success event they were officially recognized for standing out in the community, taking home the anticipated "Business of the Year Award."
Ram Industries Inc. was established in Yorkton in early 1973 and it has grown over the years into the success story it is today. Last Wednesday it was formally recognized for its commitment, dedication and contributions.
The organization initially focused on the production of welded cylinders to serve the agricultural equipment industry, but has grown and adapted to meet the demands of expanded markets and cylinder designs.
Since its inception, the RAM facility has expanded five times to increase its capacity and capabilities to its current size of 60,000 sq/ft. where head office and manufacturing continue at the Yorkton location.
RAM continues to expand its capabilities and expertise in meeting the needs of its customer base. In December 2000, Ram Industries Inc. achieved ISO 9001 Certification for both "Hydraulic Cylinder Manufacturing" and "Custom Precision Machining" and it's this dedication that has helped the organization develop long term customer relationships serving a variety of industries and applications.
Giving thanks to the vision of the company's founders – Ray and Leone Malinowski – and to it's many dedicated employees, Ram's President Linda Turta says there is much more to Ram than just building hydraulic cylinders
"One of the things that people think we do is we build hydraulic cylinders, but actually what we do, is we sell our capabilities and our capabilities include the ability to use our resources... and most importantly it's about our employees. Our employees work directly with customers to determine what their needs are... and we make it happen. Without high quality employees, we have no capabilities."
Success says Turta is about having energy, passion, dedication and never taking things for granted.
"We're very humbled to be recognized in this category and this award is very special to us. We have a very strong workforce and we're very proud to be a leader in our industry. We provide solutions for companies across North America but the honor tonight is that we're being recognized amongst so many other businesses in our community who are also leaders.... it's special to be recognized like this..."
Few paths in life can be walked without challenges and for Ram Industries it's been no different.
"I think our business challenges are no different than anyone else's," adds Turta. "We always want to be growing, we want to be market leaders, we want to expand products and into new areas... with that has to the ability to change and the ability to overcome obstacles. You have to learn to take advantage of opportunities. We're like all the other entrepreneurs out there in Yorkton, trying to grow our business."
Doing that means taking an interest in your community and getting involved as is Ram.
"We're involved with the Chamber of Commerce. We work with the Rotary Club, we're involved with The Health Foundation... we take part with community events in our area... many of our employees also drive in from surrounding areas so we're cognizant of how our company services the entire economic area."
Taking home the Business of the year Award is like icing on the cake.
"It's been a fantastic year. We've just gone through a business expansion... it's just been terrific."
Following is a complete list of 2012 Celebrate Success recipients:
• Customer Service – Sponsored by RBC Financial Group: Farrell Agencies;
• Work & Family Balance – Parkland Mall: Yorkton Co-op;
• Community Merit – Sponsored by SaskTel/DirectWest: Yorkton Exhibition, Yorkton Terriers, Access Communications;
• Community Involvement – Sponsored by Cornerstone Credit Union: TD Canada Trust;
• Diversity Leadership – Sponsored by CIBC: McDonald's Restaurant;
• Property Restoration – Sponsored by the City of Yorkton: Yorkton Hotel;
• New Business Venture – Sponsored by Key Chevrolet Cadillac Buick GMC Inc.: Richardson International;
• Business Expansion – Sponsored by Bank of Montreal: Crusader Drilling;
• Young Entrepreneur – Sponsored by TD Canada Trust: Justin Yawney, Yorkton Plumbing & Heating;
• Award of Excellence – Sponsored by ParkerQuine LLP: Harley Davidson of Yorkton, Rusnak Balacko Kachur Rusnak, Yorkton Aircraft Services;
• Business of the Year – Sponsored by SaskPower: Ram Industries.