June is Parks and Recreation Month in the City of Yorkton.
The Saskatchewan Parks and Recreation Association (SPRA), along with the city, other national and provincial parks and recreation associations is promoting the month in an effort to acknowledge the contributions recreation activities, facilities and parks make to the quality of life in the province.
“Each year recreation services and parks throughout the country utilize June to celebrate the return of summer programming, to gather their communities together, recognize volunteers, get residents involved in fun outdoor physical activities and gain support for parks and recreation sectors,” says Lisa Washington, Yorkton’s Community Development Manager.
“In addition to the many events and programs provided through community development, parks and recreation, there are numerous community based, non-profit organizations that dedicate countless hours of volunteer time to provide sport, culture and recreation programs in our community.”
Upcoming Yorkton events include:
• Heritage Heights Park Party, June 20;
• Youth Sport & Swim Night, June 29 at the Gallagher Centre;
• Knights of Columbus Park party, July 11;
• Yorkton In Bloom, July 20 (entry deadline);
• Shaw Park Party, August 1;
• Yorkton In Bloom Garden Tour. August 2;
• City Wide Registration Night, September 5, Gallagher Centre Flexihall.
“There are many benefits to participating in physical activity and recreation pursuits. Recreation provides personal, economic, social and ecological benefits to our people, our communities and our province,” concludes Washington.